Fantasy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Place Like London

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

No Place Like London Empty No Place Like London

Post  Madison Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Evelyn Bordeaux was a young woman from poor means. She was an orphan, and at 23, she was renting out a small shop in London, where she sold hats which she had made herself. She was an aspiring seamstress, and she longed to be part of an upperclass world. Her brown eyes stared out the massive window on the first story of her shop, her pale hands wandering to her brown hair, cut so it met the middle of her neck, and she wrapped her index finger in it, only to release it again.

She did her best to keep her shop clean, and most days she had assistance in the shop. Madison was one of her better and closest friends, and she vowed that if she ever made it to be a huge fashion designer, that she would bring Madison with her into that high society world, for Madison was one of the key encouragements. It was one of those days that one could bustle into buildings, and she was handing out pounds and quid by the score in change this day. A sigh escaped her lips, which were painted a rosy color, and she inhaled sharply.

Once down time hit, she found herself sweeping the floors, and brushing the dust out the door. She had an upstairs apartment room which she needed to rent out at some point or another, as her flat was down the street. She found herself hurrying, the black skirts of her dress bustling as she did so, to different counters where she would have to place hats back on the rack and picking up different spools of thread. Her eyes raised to the door as it opened, and she groaned.

Judge Turpin entered the shop briskly, a bouquet of a dozen roses tucked in his arms. His, at present, sandy brown hair was matted and had a combover, his eyes, onyx black staring at Evelyn. This was not who he had expected to see upon his entrance, but she would relay the message at the very least. "These are for your shop assistance, ma'am." Without much of a reaction from her, he watched her retrieve them and take them in back briefly, just to return with them in a vase up to the middle of the stem of the roses.

"Will she be in, presently?" He asked, his voice silk as he turned to look out the window, watching for Madison. "Have you heard that I am planning a masqued ball?" He asked her, and he watched as she returned to her work. "I'm sure it would never introduce you, Miss. But, I'm sure it would interest your shop assistance. Now, if you would be so kind as to answer my question as to whether or not she shall be in presently?"

He tapped the cane he had held in his other hand on the floor of the shop harshly, to attract her attention, and crossed his suede-clad arms, so the cane was lightly tucked in his elbow. He looked over as the door opened once more and closed abruptly.

Madison entered the shop in a hurry, messing with the hem of her crimson gown, which had been one of Evelyn's own creations. She ran a hand through her short, dark hair, trying to give it a combed look, as she had misplaced her brush.

Madison was seventeen, an orphaned girl who found a friend and maternal figure in Evelyn. She would always come to her when in need, and in return, she helped out her dear friend at her hat shop. She always enjoyed to try out Evelyn's new designs and hats.

She spoke, exasperated "I'm so sorry I'm late! I could not find my brush, nor my shoe..." she paused for a moment, "But I did find one! Guess which!" she laughed hesitantly, pointing at her clothed feet, and her messy hair.

Madison then noticed the man in the shop, as she was off in her own little world with her excuse.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I did not realize you had a customer!" she bowed her head at the Judge.

"Excuse me, Sir," she muttered and ran behind the counter to resume her duties, which were to organize swatches of fabrics.

The brooding figure casually walked up to the hat shop. His dark eyes, sunken by hate and pain, gazed up to the "for rent" sign, hanging in the window above the shop. His head cocked slightly, the silver streak in his dark nest of hair shone in the foggy London light.

Sweeney Todd was once a young man by the name Benjamin Barker. This past was like a daydream to him, ever fleeting, and seemingly unreal. He had a wife, and a child. But another wanted his life, and cast him out, imprisoned him for fifteen years.

He sighed, seeing his old barber shop again, in worse condition than it had started out in. But he needed the shop, just as it needed him. There he would be able to plan his revenge, and make the one who stole his life, suffer.

And so, Todd entered the hat shop to inquire the rent for said empty shop. He froze when he saw the very man he longed to kill, standing in front of him.

Evelyn's breath came in a hiss at all of Turpin's advances. "She is my shop assistant." She mumbled, and then gave a breath of relief as Madison shuffled in. "Oh goodness, woman. Calm down, please. We have a customer, which you have already figured out, and we need to suit his purpose." She gave as genuine a smile as she could to the younger girl, and the smile tugged at the corners of her mouth. "Now, this gentleman here has brought you a bouquet, and he wishes to speak to you. Do allow him to sit at the table on the opposite side of the room, and speak with him, Madison. I will get you a pair of shoes, presently, and a comb as well."

Evelyn left to get the items for Madison and returned quickly with a pair of black saddle shoes, and a comb. "Here you are. Now compose your self, and attend to him."

Her eyes raised as she saw another customer, "Good afternoon, sir. What may I interest you in, today?" She asked, approaching him. "You do not seem to be here for a hat.. Is it about the shop room upstairs?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

Judge Turpin smiled, an awkward smile, none-the-less as Madison entered. "A little exasperated, don't you think, madamoiselle?" He asked her, softly. "Now," He cooed, as he guided her to the table to pull out the chair for her and allowing her to sit before he sat on the opposite side of the table. "I normally would have had my beadle take care of this business for me, but as you can see, he is not with me, and I would have preferred to take of this on my own."

Taking a breath, he coughed into his elbow, resting the cane he owned aside his knee and against his collar. "Now, your name is Madison, as I have gathered. I will introduce myself, my name is Judge Turpin. I have brought you a dozen roses, each one well taken care of in my own private garden. That being said, it was my intention to invite you and your.. shopkeeper, here, to come to a private masqued ball I am holding in my home, where it shall take place in the massive ballroom which I have strived to keep in perfect condition."

Judge Turpin closed his eyes for a minute, "It.. will be in your best interest to come, I assure you. It will be a fun night, full of festivities, food, and beverage- shall it take your fancy?" He finished, smiling, his eyes again open.

x-...Find me somebody to love...-x

Madison blushed as she tried to comb out her hair, embarrassed that a customer, much less the Honourable Judge Turpin saw her in such a state.

She sat down across from the Judge, looking down at her fingers as they tangled. Madison had never been given flowers before, especially not such exquisite roses.

"It's my pleasure, Judge Turpin. But...If I might be so bold to ask, would it be proper for two women of our...Class, to be at a party of your society?" she laughed, hesitantly and connected her light mocha eyes to his hazel ones.

"I don't want to be made a fool of, my Lord."

She was wary of such...Affection. Most men had dishonest intentions, and she did not want to be used as some sort of game for upper society.

He seethed at the older man, his rival, sitting with the young woman. His loathing boiled up inside of him, yet his surface was calm and collected.

Sweeney snapped back into reality with Evelyn's voice.

"Yes... It is about the shop." he glanced again at the Judge, sneering, and pulled out a small bag and dropped it on the counter.

"Would this be enough to rent the place for now, until I can restart my business up?" his voice was devoid of emotion whilst he searched the woman's for the answer.

velyn nodded, "Would you like to take a look at the shop, sir?" She asked, lifting the bag. "More than enough, please follow me." Her eyes stared ahead of her as she passed Sweeney Todd, hooking the bag on a loop on her skirt. She held the door open for him as she did so, licking at her lowerlip, then tugged at it with her teeth.

"You're a brave man, you know. Many believe the shop upstairs is haunted." She said, simply. Her eyes focused on it, and she sighed, "Poor soul that got shipped out to Austrailia about 15 years ago, his wife and child remained.." She said as she climbed the stairs to the shop, again opening the door, "Judge Turpin had it happen, wanted the wife.." She continued, staring at the windows in the inside of the shop, watching the events unfold. "The man was a barber, excellent one.." She mused, her eyes focused on the ground now as he entered. She closed the door behind her.

Judge Turpin gave a hearty laugh. "Now, Mademoiselle. If I didn't want you in my society I wouldn't invite you, and I do believe you, of all youth, should know that.." His head nodded as he listened to her musings, and he looked at her. "Fool? No, you will be dressed in the finest gown in London, ordered from Paris, if you like."

After his sayings, he stood, "Please, think about the offer, I'll return tomorrow to have your answer." He turned, leaving the building, but stopped at the door, "Good day, Mademoiselle." He gave a small bow and tapped his cane on the ground and casually walked back towards his manor, a cheerful mannerism in his stride.

Madison snorted with amusement.
"A dress from Paris? I can hardly afford to feed myself. Much less buy the "finest gown in London."".
She was very wary of the Judge's actions and words. Madison brushed down the fabrics of her dress, playing with a small onyx ribbon that had become untied.

She bowed her head as he arose from his seat.

"I will think about it, my Lord." she muttered, hesitantly, averting his gaze and curtsying politely as he walked out.

Todd sneered.
"That's a sad tale, indeed..." he said, his voice low, almost a growl.

He paced past the girl, to his unbelievably dusty desk, gently picking up a broken frame containing his wife's photograph. His head cocked slightly as he ran his thumb across her sepia image.

"Tell me...What happened to this..Barber's wife?" he voice revealed pain and anger behind it, something he had been trying to hide.

He noticed the crib, now broken apart, still sitting where his baby, Johanna, had once laid.
"And his daughter...What happened to them?" his voice became impatient.
What had become of his family? He needed to know, and he needed to know now.

Evelyn tilted her head, now able to get a better glance at him. Maybe it was Benjamin Barker, the way he carressed the photograph with his fingers. She wrinkled her nose, a bit. "Sir? His name was Benjamin Barker.. he lived here, once.. the wife.. she died. But, the Judge invited her to this masqued ball, you see.." She said, quietly, "She was never the same afterwards, and she poisoned herself, she missed him terribly.."

"And the baby? He has her.. The daughter, Johanna.. What a beautiful young woman she has become.." She said quietly, looking out the window. She looked at him, then sighed. "What a sad family.. a happy family at one time.."

Judge Turpin sat in his office as soon as he returned home. His eyes stared at the massive book-covered library wall, swishing liquor in a small shotglass. He looked up a bit, thinking. He hadn't spoken to his ignorant little ward Johanna yet, today, and he knew she required a lot of attention, which, to him, was relatively sickening. He groaned as he stood, walking upstairs to visit her. "Johanna.." He called to her, knocking on it with the head of his cane after he twisted the key in the door.

"I have something you need to know, and what you will spend a month preparing for." He hissed at her after he opened the door.

Sweeney dropped the photograph. The frame clattered against the desk, Lucy's eyes gazing coldly up at him.

"Dead..." he breathed out, clenching his fist as an attempt to keep his body from shaking. He grit his teeth and walked briskly to the window, to stare out at the hell London had become. All because of one man.

He gazed out, as if in a trance, before snapping back and prying up a floorboard, under which, contained a small box. He lifted it out carefully, opening the latch, and caressed his shining silver friends, perfectly preserved, and waiting for him.

Johanna sneered at the sound of his voice. She loathed the very sight of the man who kept her captive. She grumbled as she got up from her seat at the windowsill, wishing she could simply fly away from this place.

She walked to the door and opened it angrily, only letting a crack of her captor appear.
"What do you want?" she asked, angrily. He wouldn't let her outside, what more could he want? Another way to torture her?

She crossed her arms like the angsty little teen she was, and waited for an answer.

Madison huffed up the shoddy stairs to where Sweeney and Eve were. She flung open the door and spoke.
"Did you see Judge Turpin downstairs? It's very queer that he wants to invite us to the masquerade, don't you think?" she shifted on the balls of her feet and gazed at Todd.
"Wow... Those razors are stunning," she smiled weakly and then focused back on Evelyn.
"He said he'd come back tomorrow for my answer... I'm not sure... It would be wonderfully lavish and such a beautiful time...But it might be a trick... What would the Judge of London ever want with an assistant to a hat shop?" she asked, exasperated, utterly confused over this situation.

Evelyn watched his reactions. "S-So it is you.. Benjamin Barker." She stammered, backing up, as though she had seen a ghost. She jumped as the door opened. "M-Madison!" She shrieked, and then took a deep breath. "You scared me- and.. I'm invited, too?" She asked, tilting her head, turning towards her. "I'll talk to you about it after I'm done here with Mr. Todd. Please, go back downstairs, and I'll be down shortly. I promise."

Turpin scowled, "Watch your tone of voice with me." He sneered, tangling his fingers in his young ward's hair, twisting. "I need you to start planning a masquerade. Which you are invited to. But you will be watched at all times, you will be unable to leave, unless its back to your room." He growled. "The colors are to be black, white, silver, and gold. Best get a move on." He snarled, throwing her to the ground before he slammed the door.

He turned on his heel, returning to the library, staring at the collection of books of how to please a woman which were on the opposite shelf from his armchair.

Sweeney Todd glared at the young lady.

"Not anymore. It's Sweeney Todd, now. Benjamin Barker died fifteen years ago..." he grabbed her by the neck roughly, inches away from her face.
"And I warn you...Tell a soul, and you're sorely regret it," he sneered and shoved her away. And pondered for a moment.
"You're invited... To Turpin's gala, are you?" a smirk crossed his lips, "that could be useful to me..." he faced her, holding up his silver razors.
"I plan to get my vengeance on the "honourable" Judge... For what he did to my Lucy. And to get Johanna back."

Johanna yelped in pain and she hissed at him.
"I shouldn't have to do anything for you!"
Johanna fought his grasp as he tossed her to the floor.

She growled from the hard wood flooring, "you're a monster!" and spat viciously at his figure as he left.

Madison pouted slightly and walked back downstairs, to pout at the register. She crossed her legs and watched for any customers, and wondered what was so important upstairs when she was clearly having a dilemma right now.

Evelyn gasped, her eyes widening. "B-..Mr. Todd." She brought her hand to his hand around her neck. She bit at her lowerlip, tugging at her lip with her teeth. "Y-Yes, I guess I am invited to the gala.." She mumbled, her eyes lowering to the ground as she pushed herself back up. She looked up at him as he raised a razor. "Sir?" She asked, biting at her lowerlip again.

Turpin inhaled lightly, closing his eyes. It was beginning to be an aggravating thing, keeping Johanna here. He had to send her somewhere, .. somewhere.. where she wouldn't be a bother and he wouldn't have to take care of her every whim and need. He sighed. He would take care of her after the masquerade. She would be none the wiser to what he was thinking of. Bedlam asylum was calling its sweet nightengale, and he would give her to them.

x- ...We all deserve to die... -x

Todd grinned. A devilish evil shone through in this smile. It was all so simple, so perfect. A quick and sweet revenge.
"I shall accompany you to the masquerade..." he walked, fluidly around the room, "and...as soon as I get the Judge alone..." he whipped his razor out, the blade seemed to sparkle in the dim London light as he tossed it with the flick of his wrist, the blade stuck cleanly in the wood frame of the wall, inches away from where Evelyn was.
A maniacal laugh escaped his lips, swimming in the rush of his fool-proof plan. He pulled the razor out of the wall, brushed it on his pants and put it back into his pocket.
"This will work." he remarked in a sly voice.

Johanna pouted in her room, staring out the window more intently than before. She felt almost as if she could escape, if she just stared hard enough.
But she had to take action to gain her freedom. And she would, the night of the masquerade. A small smile creased her lips as she devised her plan to give Turpin the slip amongst the guests, switching masks with any other party-goer and then sneaking into the dead of night. She didn't care about what would happen after that.
"any place is better than here," she muttered to herself, reassuring that the plan was a good plan, indeed.

The brunette nodded, "I.. alright.." She whispered. Evelyn was far too worried about her own life to worry for the Judge's- although, she could care less if the man was strangled or suffocated in his sleep. Her eyes scanned the room, and she flinched as the razor landed next to her. "I.. I.." She gasped, "I'll leave you to your planning, sir." She mumbled, rushing forward and past him, opening the door, closing it behind her, and she ran down the stairs, re entering her shop. "I'm going to the ball with Mr. Todd." She said softly, a flustered look on her face.

A dark look clouded over Judge Turpin's eyes. The became a darker onyx, he stood. He walked behind him to his desk. He pulled out a pad of parchment, beginning to write a letter for Beadle Bamford. He inhaled sharply, the letter would be his ticket to freedom, and his ward's incarceration. He would hae to plan this horribly carefully. He growled quietly to himself, his eyes watching as his hand etched words onto the paper.

Madison looked up from the counter, which she had been resting her upper body on when she heard the rapid footsteps on the stairs
"What? Why? You've just met him!" she spoke, shocked at this decision.
She cocked her head slightly at Eve.
"Are you all right, love? You look as if you've seen a ghost..." she asked in a softer tone, worried over her friend's disheveled look. She was a strong young woman, and it was rare for Madison to see her like this.

The look Madison would receive was one of a .. misguided young woman. "A favor.." She whispered, smiling. "I'm perfectly fine." She said, nodding her head briefly. "I couldn't be better.." Her eyes lowered to the floor briefly. "We need to get gowns." She said, decidedly, "Or make our own. But we need to get masks as well.." She mumbled, thinking. She sat down at the register, biting at her lip. She was unsure of what she should do. One, she had a sadist in her upstairs shop, who was hellbent on vengeance, and two? She had to go the ball with him.

udge Turpin groaned. He slammed the head of his cane on the floor. What could he do? He had that.. thing upstairs, and a masquerade to prepare for, but he had to get the theme from the little witch upstairs. She could be attractive. At times, if she tried- IF she tried. But she never seemed to.. He sighed, groaning again. Madison was on his mind. He couldn't get the way she had looked at him out of his head.

She nodded at Evelyn's explanation.
Madison pouted a bit and ran a hand through her hair.
"I'm not entirely sure that I'm going to go to the masquerade, Evie..." she paused for a moment, searching her friend's face for a reaction,
"I mean... Why would he invite us? Isn't that suspicious at all?" she frowned a bit.
She did think the Judge was attractive, but that's hardly a basis to just go to a random party.
"You can go if you'd like, but I really don't know if I should..." she spoke, a little disappointed in herself. She really couldn't know his intentions unless she went to the gala, but did not want to be hurt by going. She's had enough pain and Madison no longer wanted it to be so easy to be hurt.

Mr. Todd sighed and slowly made his way down the stairs. He hoped he hadn't spooked the poor girl too much. He had to intimidate her, but too much could bring her to reveal his plans, which would be disasterous.
He knocked on the side door and entered, a small smile at the side of his mouth.
"I was wondering if you ladies happened to have any evening attire for a gentleman for a particular ball," he grinned.
He needed their help, as much as he didn't want to admit it. Evie was his golden ticket, and he appreciated her cooperation, even if it was through fear. He'd show her he was the good guy in this battle, and she would be not only forced, but willing to help.

[Missing Post]

Madison pouted slightly. She hated being put into this predicament.
"I have no doubt you can take care of yourself...And... You've got Mr. Todd, apparently," she smiled nervously. She wasn't too sure about this character, but she certainly knew not to get on his bad side.
"But... If it would make you feel better, I guess I could join," she decided. She was worried about Evie. Even if she was younger, she still tried to protect her dear friend. She could be fierce if needed. Though, whether or not it could be exceptionally helpful was debatable.

Todd's temper was flaring, but he kept a smile on his face as he searched the shop. It was completely empty.
"But...There seems to be no one here... Can I make my..."Appointment" for now?" he seethed, trying not to let his anger get to him. He stroked the razor in his pocket, feeling the intricate details in the crafting to calm his nerves.

Evelyn inhaled sharply, feeling her heart race. She hated when he used that tone of voice. She sat down at her counter and crossed her arms, her nose wrinkling. "Twenty-four hours in advance, Mister Todd." She continued, then looked at Madison. "Madison, yes. You are going. I'll make sure of that. Everything will be fine." Her eyes then moved back to Sweeney. "Damn. Stop seething. Fine. Come with me." She stood and grabbed his arm dragging him into the back room to take his measurements. "What color do you want?" She asked, breathing deeply.

She pouted again, still unsure about going, but obviously had no way out of it.
"Fine..." she sighed and nervously played with the hem of her dress as Evelyn dragged Sweeney into the back room.

Todd raised his eyebrow at Evie's pushiness. He was surprised she could be so forceful. He looked around at all the fabrics as she whipped out the measuring tape to measure his sizes. He watched her carefully as she measured, focusing on her delicate hands.
"What ever colour you suppose would look best, Evelyn," he spoke, casually. It hardly mattered to him. All he needed was to fit in with the crowd.

"Listen, Mister T. You're taking me. You're deciding on the colors." She hissed, her eyes narrowing as she got his arm length and circumference, then his waist height, then his leg height. She stared up at him finally, "I'll be able to take care of the outfit if you give me colors." She finished, turning to walk away from him, the calculations in her head. She needed to write them down as soon as possible, however, regardless.

He raised his eyebrows at her vicious manner. He found it hilarious how a girl he had threatened to murder could be so...Feisty. He chuckled slightly and looked through the colours of fabric.
"Dark blue, then, Miss. That is my choice," he smirked slightly. This girl was certainly different, wasn't she? Nothing like his Lucy...But that wasn't a bad thing. She was cooperative, she was fierce and Todd liked that. A very interesting young lady indeed.

Evelyn scanned him and she nodded. "There you go, wasn't that hard, now was it?" She went into the front room again, "He's requested a darkblue attire wardrobe, he's paid for it in full, and we should get to work on it as soon as possible." She stated, to Madison as she wrote down his measurements. Her eyes raised to Sweeney's and she took a deep breath, shaking her head, as she began to pull fabrics.

Madison nodded slightly and began to fetch the supplies she needed in order to begin making the skeleton of the suit. She dragged the heavy mannequin over and began to pin down his measurements for reference and then began to cut some navy cloth as the foundation.
"Blue will be excellent on you, Sir," she smiled quickly without looking up from her work. She knew she must be flattering, and, to be honest, she was always fond of this fabric.

Todd nodded uncomfortably, unsure as to what to do now the ladies had begun working. He stood in the middle of the shop, shifting on his feet. Should he do something for Evelyn? Perhaps to thank her for her cooperation? He pondered it slowly. He did spare her life, wasn't that thanks enough? No... He couldn't even convince himself of that. He sneered a bit at his lack of knowledge as to what to do. Perhaps dinner...?

Evelyn paced behind Madison, her eyes watching her do the detail work. She reached down and pulled up a small box of pins. She placed it on the counter, her eyes moving from her to Sweeney. "We hand sew everything here. Your suit shall be done in about a month's time. Perfect timing for the ball." She said, sternly, "Is there anything else we can do for you, today, sir?" She asked, now focusing her attention on Madison, "Pin there." She said softly, pressing her fingertip to where the seam would start for the underarm of the sleeve that connected to the waist of the top.

Madison obeyed the command and pinned down the fabric where it was needed. Slowly, the messy frame of the lining of the coat became more apparent on the headless torso. She began to pin things down faster, feeling confident in her abilities.
"Ow! Bloody hell!" she squeaked out as she held her finger. A tiny droplet of blood formed from the place where the needle pierced her pale flesh. She pouted a bit at the blood, squeezing her finger so more would appear, before sucking on her wounded finger gently, enjoying the metallic tang of the blood in her mouth.

Sweeney shook his head at her question.
"No, this is all I need. Thank you both for your cooperation," his mouth twitched a slight smile out as he bowed to the young ladies working. His thoughts of taking the pretty Evelyn to dinner as a thanks were dismissed until further notice. It would be a while until his attire was finished, and if she blew the plan in that amount of time, there will certainly be no thanks needed. He concluded that he should wait to see how this turns out. Worse comes to worst, he'll just kill all of them and slip out of the shithole of London before anyone suspects a thing. Hopefully he could bring his daughter with him.

Evelyn gave a dark nod, the light in her eyes fading slightly. She was having a hard week, already, and it wasn't even mid-week. Her eyes moved to the dark alley outside her shop. She looked back at Madison, shadows slowly overtaking the skin below her eye. "Ah.. Madison, take care not to hurt yourself too much. We don't want any stains on our flooring, it's hard enough to maintain as it is." After finishing the pinning on Sweeney's suit, she looked at him. "Of course, you do not have to stay here. The room upstairs is yours." Her eyes went to the garments again and she looked at Madison as he left. She sat behind the counter, her hands running over her face.

Madison's eyes met Evelyn's for a moment as she smiled reassuringly.
"Even if I made a mess, it would be my decency to clean it up."
Her finger came out of her mouth for that phrase and the girl got up, walking casually to the sink in the back and washing the wound before going back to work on the new owner's suit.

"I'm very well aware, it was just simply fascinating to see ladies such as yourselves doing the task at hand," he spoke, a smirk rising to his lips, "but I shan't bother you any further, although your dexterity and prowess ad tailoring is quite a sight to behold."
He grinned at how charming he could be. Of course he barely meant half of that, seeing as the younger girl was a clutz.
Sweeney nodded curtly, smiling once more at the ladies and walked out and back to his lonely and dusty shop.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

No Place Like London Empty Re: No Place Like London

Post  The Hatter Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Desperately, Evelyn looked at Madison. Her eyes then moved to the table before her. "Things just got so much more.. complicated." The woman said softly to herself. She had her life in the hands of a demonic barber, a suit to make for said demonic barber, and then she had to go to a ball so that he could exact his revenge. Oh. This wasn't going to be a good week. Not at all. "You may take a break for now, if you wish." The exasperated woman told her in a sigh, her eyes scanning the younger girl's form briefly.

The Hatter
Admin

https://sweetestfantasies.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Madison looked at Evelyn, concerned. She was pretty good when it came to knowing how her counterpart felt.

"Is everything alright?" she asked softly, walking over to where the girl stood.

It wasn't like her to give breaks, much less after getting to work so soon. The younger girl assumed she wanted to be left alone, but that never solved any problems.

"You can talk to me, you know," she reassured her mentor, smiling weakly.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Evelyn smiled and muttered something to herself in broken French and English. "Everything is fine. Just a little.. exhausted, is all. I promise." The woman said, reassuringly, smiling up at her friend. "It's bound to be a long day." She said, simply and sat up, her hand running down her side and feeling a small cramp she was having in her side, then looked at Madison again. "I promise I'm alright."

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:33 pm

The dark-haired girl smiled softly at her, wrapping her arms around her torso affectionately.

"If you insist," Madison smiled, "you should take that break instead. I'll take care of the shop," she offered to Evie as she resumed her position at the model, making the frame for the Barber's coat.

She wanted to help her friend out. She hoped she'd take the offer and relax a bit, she seemed so wound up. Evelyn needed a vacation or something. But they would both have to take one when they weren't swamped with jobs. But, hey, jobs meant money.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:56 am

Evelyn smiled as Madison hugged her frame. "Thank you, Madison.. I appreciate it." She mumbled something to herself in French, and she wished she believed in some kind of God who could help her. She sighed a little bit, her eyes moving to the window. She would have to figure out what to do.

-

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:00 am

Madison watched her from the corner of her eye, occasionally sticking herself from lack of paying attention. She wished she could see what was going on in her head. Was it something about the Barber? He certainly seemed a bit...Off. But the day had been strange even without him. After all, the judge of London had come into the shop, to see Madison herself. How bloody mad is that? She smiled slightly, if she tried explaining this to anyone, she'd be locked up in Bedlam for sure.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:31 am

The ball was set up brilliantly. Judge Turpin could thank his pretty little ward for this. If there was anything she was useful for, it was for the delicate planning that went into events he hosted. Figures swirled, but he, no. He was waiting patiently at the door, dressed in a black and gold embroidered tailcoat dress suit, a plain black mask masquing his features. His hair was slicked back, and his black eyes focused on the door. He had a plan, and since he was a man of high establishment, perhaps that plan would be followed through to completion. His eyes moved from the door briefly to look at his little Ward who was flirting shamelessly with many of the young gentlemen.

-

Evelyn was dressed in the gown she had been yearning to wear. She had aided Madison in getting ready, and assured that she looked lovely. The gown which Evelyn wore was a red gown with silver embroidery, a bustle skirt, and her hair was done in a curled updo, her skin pale-white against the fabric. Her eyes moved to the door of her shop, and she exited the building, "Mr Todd, it's almost time to go." She went back into her shop, and into the back where she was helping Madison get ready. "If you go into the cabinet over there, there are masks. Take which one goes best with your gown, and get one for me, please." She said softly, a smile on her lips.

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:47 am

Madison fixed her bustle so it was straight. Her dress was in the similar vein to Evie's, but the main colour was black. Swirling silver accents adorned the skirt and an onyx and silver choker adorned her neck. Of course it wasn't the most expensive thing, but what more could she afford? It looked nice enough with her outfit. The girl meticulously painted her lips and eyes with make up, making sure everything was absolutely perfect. She was quite nervous about this whole ordeal, but hoped she'd have a fun time anyways. She had never been to a party such as this. Once, before Evie, she sneaked into a party, but she was starving and there was much food to be had. But never invited to such an affair.

"Thanks," Madison said to Evelyn before picking out a feathered dark mask, embroidered with silver and sequins.
She picked out one with red for Evelyn, which was of equal beauty.

-

Sweeney Todd stood impatiently in the shop, his foot tapping with slight annoyance. He found Evelyn absolutely stunning, it was true, but he was more wrapped up in carrying out his revenge than what some shop-girl was wearing. He just did not have the time to think about it. His hair was combed down, making him look almost respectable. His deep blue coat fit him beautifully, and he had these two ladies to thank for that. The barber's mask was already in place. He did not wish for anyone to see his identity on the way to the gala. He sighed harshly, a scowl across his lips.

God, he just wanted to leave already! Woman and their need to preen for hours.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:18 pm

Evelyn hooked her hand into Sweeney's arm after she left the room with Madison, her mask placed upon her face. "Thank god you are a patient man, Mr. Todd." She said softly, a smile on her lips. "Shall we go?" The woman asked, looking at the gentleman she was connected to at this moment, then she looked at her comrade and bosom buddy. She grinned a little, and then looked to the door. "It's such a good thing his home isn't far from here. I'd detest walking there were it a further distance." She was trying to calm his nerves of course.

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Todd forced a slight smile at his lips, which turned to be more of a sneer. At least she had not gone to the authorities in this amount of time, and was still willing, even if it was her life on the line. He started walking out of the shop as Madison scrambled out, who locked the door behind them. Sweeney pondered how it felt to have this woman on his arm. It felt...Comforting, in a way. He knew she was doing this out of fear, but it gave him a distant feeling of how things had been for him before Turpin. He snarled at the though of that sordid man. But his life would be ended soon enough, and the former Benjamin Barker could finally rest his wife's soul to rest.

-

Madison panicked slightly as she saw Todd and Evelyn begin to walk off. As soon as she locked the door she raced after the two. She watched the two of them. Something was queer about this. Why would she take this barber along to this party? Especially since it was only Madison who had been originally invited. Her head cocked slightly in contemplation at the two. Evie was obviously keeping something from her best friend.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:08 pm

The group didn't have to walk too far, and finally, they were in the Great House of the Honourable Judge Turpin. The walk felt so.. long for Evie. Hooked into the arm of Sweeney, it was almost unreal. She was helping a man in his vindictive cause, and for what? She didn't even know. She tugged at her lowerlip with her teeth, but forced a smile when Judge Turpin greeted them hospitably at the door.

"Ah, Evelyn and Sir. What a surprise. Do come in." Judge Turpin greeted, boldly, a smile, also forced, on his face. Of course Madison wouldn't come alone. A scowl was ingrained in his mind. However, when he saw Madison, his smile went from utterly false to one of genuine means-- "Ah! Ms. Madison, you look lovely." He knew it was her, just by the jawline and the eyes. Curious eyes. . beautiful eyes.

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:23 am

"And yourself," she smiled at the judge, curtsying to him.
Madison took off her mask to get a better look at him. He certainly did look dashing. Powerful, rich and handsome. She couldn't help but laugh inside her head. What would the Judge of London ever want with her? A Tailor's apprentice? Alas, she would not disappoint Lord Turpin. The young girl was still wary of the invitation. But she was here, now. And she might as well have a good time.

Sweeney Todd ushered Evelyn in quickly once he saw Turpin was distracted. A Large sneer was across his face. A new, young victim of the judge's? A new innocent to destroy, he thought. It angered him even though he couldn't care less about the girl. It was the principle of the matter. Todd's rage tensed his entire body. He couldn't stand being in Turpin's house, he couldn't stand having to wait any longer before the Judge's "untimely" death. He wanted him dead as soon as possible.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Evelyn elbowed Sweeney to get his attention as she led him to the dancefloor. Her eyes met his and she bit her lip. "When do you plan on beginning your ordeal?" She uttered to him in a harsh whisper. Her eyes focused on his as she led him into a spiraling waltz within the crowd of people.

-

Judge Turpin focused on the beautiful young woman before him. Her ..fall, dare he called it that, would not be as rough, nor as callous as Barker's wife. She was insane, but this.. Madison, she was entirely different. She was willing to come to him, and perhaps, he would find a more suitable wife in her than he would any other female in London. The ill-tempered man felt lightened by her presence, and it was almost a dramatic change. He seemed different all together. He extended his elbow to her and smiled. "Shall we dance?"

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Todd muttered to his dance partner, "Near the end, once most have gone..."
He glared as they turned with the crowd at every chance to see the man he absolutely loathed. How fitting for him to meet his end at a party much like he ended the life of Benjamin's beautiful Lucy. But with the way things were going, he would have to kill the girl too, the friend of Evelyn. He pondered, for a moment, that could actually work well. Seeming like the work of a jealous lover, killing his betrothed and the man with whom their vows were defiled. Yes, it would work. A sinister smirk caught the end of his lips, reveling in his dastardly plan.

-

Madison smiled softly, accepting his elbow and wrapping her arm around, locking them together.
"Yes, my Lord," she agreed, smiling up at him.

The young girl considered whether or not he was doing this to make a fool of her, still. Although his affections seemed genuine enough, it was rare for a man to desire more than one thing. And she would not give her innocence to him, much less anyone, so easily. Turpin had a...Reputation, to say the least. She contemplated whether or not that was what he was looking for. She hoped not, simply for the fact she'd have to refuse, much against her primal instincts.
Yet she danced with him, albeit clumsily. She had never taken any lessons in dance, and she did not have a fine rhythm. She was more of a singer than anything, often humming or full-out singing soft tunes during her work. But now she had to dance.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Tue May 11, 2010 7:53 am

"What could you be thinking? Surely you're not thinking of.. doing anything else, are you?" Evelyn's eyes widened, focused on Sweeney's. A small frown took her lips, it was becoming apparent what he was thinking, and she was sure she couldn't possibly agree with that. However, the dark-haired girl would wait on what he would say, hoping for a different though than what she was thinking.

-

Judge Turpin took her about the dance floor, though remained in general area as much as he could. "My dear, you look divine. I apologize if how much I am complimenting you bothers you in the slightest, and I will stop if you so wish." His eyes settled on hers, a small smile caressing his lips. He was almost genuinely happy.

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Tue May 11, 2010 6:01 pm

The man sneered at Evelyn, even with his face concealed, she could tell what he was thinking? He had to be careful in front of her, he judged. "In fact, I was," the man spoke gravely, "are you very fond of your associate?" He knew the answer was most likely "Yes, and I most definitely do not want her murdered brutally in front of me." but what could he do but ask? His sullen eyes kept a watch on the seamstress, then switching to the two. How it made him cringe to see the Judge sporting such a smile.

"Oh, not at all Sir," the girl said quickly, stopping once she was spoken to, and then curtsied to the gray-haired man, "you very well may do as you please. I am in your debt for bringing me here." Madison bit her tongue softly, cursing the words she had spoken. She worried it could bring about something foul, being forced into something because it is owed. Yet, Turpin did not frighten her in such a manner.

Last edited by Moocat on Tue May 25, 2010 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Mon May 17, 2010 7:23 am

Evelyn's eyes focused on the Barber's, scanning them. Her lowerlip was tugged with her teeth. "Find a way to erase her memory, one can usually do that, send her to an asylum, do anything but hurt her." Her hand went to the Barber's shoulder, then to his cheek, forcing him to look at her. "Sweeney." Her eyes stared into his, narrowing a bit.

The Judge grinned, as they danced. The dance came to an end, and his eyes focused on Madison's. "I hope the evening is advancing to your pleasure?" He pulled her aside, leading her to the refreshments table. He smiled, and motioned. "Have anything you like."

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Mon May 17, 2010 7:35 pm

"How do you propose then we get her out of the Judge's sight?" the man sneered, twirling his dance partner around, "no doubt she will not leave his side." The barber stole a glance at his partner, seeing she obviously disapproved of his plan, which bothered him immensely. Of course, he could cover his tracks completely but... No, there was something different about Evelyn, something that reminded him of a time long gone, and he did not want her to meet an untimely end.

The girl bit her lip as she looked at the table. Her and Eve were not exactly poor, but not rich either. And this had probably been the most food the seamstresses' apprentice had seen in one place. Her mouth watered yet she refrained, looking to Turpin, "shall you dine with me, my Lord?" she inquired, feeling awkward if she were to eat and drink alone.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Thu May 20, 2010 7:13 am

Evelyn leaned forward, resting her forehead on the Barber's shoulder. Her mind was racing. Her lips pursed before they parted. "We can.. well. We can carry through tonight... the plan, so to speak, and tomorrow, we can take her to an asylum."

Beadle Bamford was dancing through partners, partner by partner. Finally, he was within earshot of Evelyn and Sweeney. His brow creased. Were they talking about his lord? A scowl took his lips and he danced through again, headed towards the refreshment table. "My Lord. A manner needs your attention. Come with me."

"Y-" He was about to reply, but the Beadle had to come and pull his attention away. "I'll be back as soon as I can, my Lady. I apologize for this.. inconvenience."

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Thu May 20, 2010 6:40 pm

The man tensed slightly as she leaned upon him, but soon relaxed. It had been such a long time since any kind touch had been directed towards him, and, strangely enough, it felt alright. Sweeney murmured his agreement, which came out almost gruffly. He could easily hit the girl over the head, just knocking her out if she got in the way, and Evelyn seemed to not mind a life in the asylum for her friend. Maybe, after fifteen years, he can finally lay the life of Benjamin Barker to rest.

Madison nodded, but she could not help feeling crushed by the turn of events. Surely, he will forget and leave her here, or something of that manner. He probably has to meet with some gorgeous, recently widowed Countess or something to that sort. "Yes, my Lord," she responded, watching the man leave into the mod of people. She pouted, grabbed a handful of things off the table, as well as some rather strong drink, and sat down on a crowded couch, awaiting his return.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Thu May 20, 2010 9:30 pm

The Beadle pulled him aside and into his library. "I heard the girls' friend, and the new Barber talking. They're planning something."

Turpin's brow creased. "How are they.. I see." He cleared his throat. Was he about to be betrayed? How could he? He was more powerful than Evelyn or the Barber. His eyes settled on the Beadles, and he turned. "I'm returning to my guest." He said, quietly and returned to the dining hall. He stood by Madison. "I'm sorry about that. My loyal Bamford had news to address me with. Nothing to worry your little head over." He smiled and extended his arm. "Have any ideas for what you'd like to dine on? We have a wide variety.. choose anything, everything you like."

Evelyn sighed as the dancing progressed. "I saw a man pull the Judge aside. . I think the Judge now suspects something. ." Her eyes were focused on the table across the room, and they had followed the Judge out of the room, then when he returned.

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Fri May 21, 2010 4:40 am

"Suspects what?" Sweeney Todd said boldly, "that the girl he has been dancing with is a complete lunatic? I've only kept from dragging her out so she would not cause a scene," the barber muttered seriously, "she has been on such good behaviour tonight. If the Judge suspects my favour to him, so be it. No doubt he would certainly like to hear about what she did to our poor child." Todd was effortless in stringing lies together, attempting to cover their tracks. He hoped one either the judge or beadle heard this commotion he made, trying to dismiss any suspicion. Perhaps, although it made his blood boil, he could not go through with the plan tonight.

"Oh," she said softly, wondering what it could have been. But it was far more rude than anything were she to ask. The girl laughed softly to herself, "my Lord, you treat me with far too much respect, I'll have you know." After all, she was just a commoner, only getting an education from Evelyn, or from her stalkings around the book shop. Yet, the seamstress' apprentice loved the attention. She felt as if Turpin wasn't one of those stuck-up snobs that were also at the party. She could feel their glares upon her from the moment she entered. They all knew she wasn't one of them.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hatter Sat May 22, 2010 6:40 am

Evelyn's eyes scanned him. "Our poor darling baby girl.." Evelyn sighed, feigning sadness. "We best leave. I have an idea." She replied, knowing full well that the Beadle was no longer within ear shot as he had stalked off again after hearing Sweeney, no doubt to tell the Judge what he had heard. "A plan that will have you on your knees, thanking God that it will most likely work.." She whispered into the Barber's ear, her lips dragging against the skin, mostly on accident.

Judge Turpin rolled his shoulders casually. "My dear, you are in my house. You are no simpleton." He replied, a small smile on his lips as he pulled a plate from the bar, holding it out to her. "Have your choice. Sure, he had noticed the looks, but he knew that she wasn't from a poor bloodline. She had some royalty in her. He could tell. His eyes focused on hers.

The Hatter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madison Sat May 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Sweeney smirked, a deep chuckle in his throat at her words. There was something so deliciously sinister about her, this hidden demon behind a beautiful mask. The barber took her arm, ushering her outside, shoving through the other partygoers and hustling out into the brisk night air. He grabbed her, throwing her against a wall in an alleyway around the Judge's house. The man leaned his sallow face close to hers, "what's the plan?" he asked with soft intensity, an eyebrow raised at her.

The girl smiled, taking a shrimp off of the plate, holding it by the tail and taking a bite. "So, my Lord," she said after swallowing, "is there any specific occasion for this masqued ball?" Madison inquired. People normally do not hold parties for no reason, at least that's what she thought. But, if people were rich enough they did what they wanted, she figured.
Madison
Madison

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum